Built by Lind in 1899 at Aberdeen Washington displacing 499 tons. She was stranded on the San Francisco bar January 23rd, 1916.
Abbie was a two masted schooner, displaced 146 tons, 98.5′ x 29.5′ x 8.3′, and was built in 1876 by H. D. Bendixsen, at Fairhaven California for J.G. Jackson the owner of the Caspar Lumber Company. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1890.
Built by Dick at Alameda in 1901 she displaced 416 tons. She was stranded and lost a St Coquille, Oregon on October 31st, 1914
A two masted schooner launched in 1880. She displaced 130 tons, was 96.5 feet long and 28.25 feet in the beam. She was commanded by Captain Mortenson. She parted her lines and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1889.
The Aeriel was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1888.
A two masted schooner commanded by Captain Crack. She displaced 181 tons. She was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1878.
The A.F. Mouje was a sailing schooner that was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1869.
A 68 ton two masted schooner launched in 1876 was under the command of Captain Nicholson. She struck a rock, lost her rudder and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1886.
A 74 ton two masted schooner she was owned by E.W. Burr. She was commanded by Captain Ahern. She parted her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1869.
Albert and Edward:
The Albert and Edward was a 96 ton two masted schooner launched in 1875. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1877.
The Albert and Walter was abandoned and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1889.
The Albion was a 202 ton collier launched in 1861. She was120 feet long and 31 feet across the beam. The Albion was commanded by Captain Jacobs and owned by Richardson Co. She grounded and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1893.
Albion (second of this name):
The wreck of the Albion
The wreck of the Albion
The Albion was a wooden steam schooner built in 1892 by C.G. White in Alameda, California. She measured 120 x 31 x 9 feet with a single deck. She was powered bya 110 hp compound 2 cylinder engine and had a 250,000 board foot capacity. The Albion was originally owned by H.A. Richardson (1907 – 1908). Other owners were J.S. Kimball, R.S. Spreckels and G.H. Collins (incomplete list).
The Albion, commanded by Captain Jacobson, put into Stewart’s Point on March 21st, 1913 to complete its cargo of lumber, while on its southbound trip from Bowen’s Landing for San Francisco. While taking aboard some ties from the end of a long wharf, a southwester swept down the coast, and began to roll the vessel against the bulkhead, parting several of the mooring lines. Capt. Jacobson ordered the boat to clear away and stand off to sea, but the storm proved too powerful, and the ship was abandoned by the 15 man crew shortly after 3:00 am when the craft refused to hold by its anchor. The Albion broke up on the reef, at Stewarts Point and wreckage was scattered along the beach for several miles.
The Alcatraz was a steam schooner launched in 1887. She was owned by L.E. White who owned the mill at Elk/Greenwood.
Like most of the schooners we know of that plied there trade along the Mendocino Coast the Alcazar came to a watery grave. Our picture shows the Alcazar in Cuffey’s Cove, Greenwood; Point Arena in background. She was a wooden steam schooner built in 1887 by Alex Hay of San Francisco, owned and operated by the Lorenzo E. White Lumber Company of Elk/Greenwood. She was 132 feet long, 32 feet across the beam and displaced 263 tons. The captain of the Alcazar was Captain Fagerlund. She grounded and wrecked June 10, 1907, without the loss of life, on Needle Rock on the north coast of Mendocino.
The Alycona was a two masted schooner launched in 1861. She was swamped and capsized at her moorings in the Noyo basin on January 13, 1863.
She was built in San Francisco
A two masted schooner launched in 1870 displacing 88 tons. She was commanded by Captain Olsen and was owned by Captains Olsen, Blair and Hendriks and J.C. Ford. She parted her moorings and was lost off at Mendocino Bay on January 20, 1886 and was ”slowly pounded to pieces and lumber in hold was ground to sawdust.”
Built in 1896 by Bendixsen at Fairhaven, California. She displaced 679 tons. She was sold to Mexican interests and her ultimate fate is unknown.
Alliance (the second of the same name):
Launched in 1899 she was commanded by Captain Louchy and owned by Jean Albia. She was a two masted schooner displacing 105 tons. She grounded and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1915.
Built by Kruse and Banks in 1911 at North Bend, Oregon. She displaced 744 tons. She was broken up and her hull used as a fish barge.
The Alviso was a two masted schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1883.
Captain Schmaling commanded the Amazone, a two masted schooner. She parted her moorings and was lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1876.
A sailing schooner known to have worked the doghole ports of the Mendocino Coast.
A three masted schooner she was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1905.
She was a schooner commanded by Captain Berry and was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1870.
A two masted schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1885.
Built by Kruse and Banks in North Bend, Oregon in 1920. She displaced 1,343 tons.
Built by Rolf Shipbuilding Company in 1918 at Rolph, California. She displaced 2,361 tons. She was broken up in 1944.
Annie was a sailing schooner wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1874.
A two masted schooner displacing 42 tons she was stranded and wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1873.
A two masted schooner launched in 1870 displacing 119 tons. The Annie Stoffer was wrecked off of the Mendocino Coast in 1879.
The Anor was a two-masted schooner wrecked off the Mendocino Coast in 1855.
She was built by Dickie Brothers in San Francisco in 1876. She displaced 560 tons. She was abandoned in Oakland Creek, Claifornia.
The Arctic was a wooden steam schooner built in 1901 by H.R. Reed at Bay City, Oregon for J.S. Kimball of San Francisco. She was used for the coastal lumber trade, was 392 tons, 145 x 32 x 11 feet with a single deck. She had a 350 h.p. triple expansion (3 – Cylinder) engine and 325, 000 board foot capacity. Other owners of the Arctic were Hammond Lumber Company; sold in 1908 to National Steamship Company and sold again in 1919 to Union Lumber Company. The Arctic wrecked at Point Arena on July 5th, 1922.
Built by Ballard in Washington in 1898. She displaced 210 tons.
The Arispe was built in 1853 for
Ryan, Duff & others. When she grounded off the Mendocino Coast a year after she was built (1854) her captain was named Pierce. She was 131.5 feet long, had a beam of 30 feet and displaced 336 tons.
Captain Colman commanded the 53 ton two masted schooner the Artful Dodger. She was stranded and lost off of the Mendocino Coast in 1877.
Built by G.Ross in Prosper, Oregon in 1902. She displaced 424 tons. She sank in 1920.
Built by Mathews Shipbuilding Company in 1912 at Hoquiam, Washington. She displaced 881 tons. She was stranded off Cape Shoalwater on April 29th, 1925. Top of Page